- Ken Barris (S Africa) 'The Life of Worm' from 'New Writing from Africa 2009', published by Johnson & King James Books, Cape Town
- Lily Mabura (Kenya) 'How Shall We Kill the Bishop?’ from ‘Wasafiri’ No53, Spring 2008
- Namwali Serpell (Zambia) 'Muzungu' from 'The Best American Short Stories 2009', published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Boston MA
- Alex Smith (S Africa) 'Soulmates' from 'New Writing from Africa 2009' [see above]
- Olufemi Terry (Sierra Leone) 'Stickfighting Days' from ‘Chimurenga’ vol 12/13, Cape Town 2008
2 - A Zambian story was nominated by the Best American Short Stories of 2009 for a 2010 award? Weird.
I don't have a dog in this fight -- no Nigerian and all -- but, I am a fan of Chimurenga, Wasafiri, and Best American Short Stories series. If you don't read compilations/literary magazines much, I recommend it. They're awesome.